Thursday 6 March 2014

submit a picture book illustration for Tania's next book!


During the month of March, over at my 52-Week Illustration Challenge, I've asked members to submit an illustration to some text from my upcoming picture book. My publisher and I are keen to find a new (or even existing) talent to illustrate this new book, and would love to find one via the Challenge!

So, if you are interested in illustrating a children’s book, read on ...

Head to the Challenge Facebook Group and ask to join.

You will have until 31 March to create a full illustration to either one of the following two texts.

Sometimes––a lot of sometimes––I want to smile. It could be … a spinning round-and-round smile.

OR

Sometimes––just sometimes––I want to cry. It might be … an ice cream plopping-down cry.

The medium is your choice. The style is your choice. Do what resonates with you and in the style and medium that calls to you, though I will tell you that I prefer modern, clean, light-coloured work, and that this manuscript needs characters that can evoke emotion in the reader. I like both quirky and realistic styles—so there’s loads of scope for you.

There is one main character in this book but they will interact with other friends, so you can include more than one character if you like. The character is indefinable. It could be human or animal. I’m not really into fairies or monsters.

White background or full detail background are both good--I like both.

If you want to do more than one illustration, go for it.

Sorry, international friends, but this is open to Australian residents only.

When you have your artwork ready, please post it to the Challenge wall with this text:

PICTURE BOOK SUBMISSION
+ medium used
+ any other text you want to add
+ tag me so I don't miss it! (just type '@' and then start typing my name)

I won’t be commenting or liking any of these posts (which will be hard!) just so I can retain impartiality.

Once the deadline for entries has closed, my publisher and I will consult on whether there's an entry we feel perfectly resonates with the story's text, and if there is, we'll be in touch! So, no guarantees, but at the very least, your work will come under the nose of a publisher passionate about fostering new local illustrating talent … and you might even end up with a contract!

Feel free to ask questions. I'm just thrilled that this could mean a publishing opportunity for one of you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.